Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Five Indispensable Qualities for Successful Weight Loss


It has been a few weeks since my last blog post, and I thought I would switch gears from the technical nutritional advice from the New Year, New You series.  So what do I know about the characteristics of someone who has successfully lost weight?  First, lets clarify what I mean by successful: permanent weight loss.  No yo-yoing allowed.  People, who consistently fluctuate in weight, show signs of the characteristics I am going to discuss, but they have not fully embraced them.

Back to the question, what do I know?  Well for starters, this big guy you are about to see was me when I was sixteen years old.
Age 16, 260lbs

So what do I know about losing weight?  Let’s just say I climbed the mountain, planted a flag, set up a gravestone and buried the big guy.  He is not coming back.  Incidentally, I have been as light as 160lbs but I felt too skinny and was unhappy with the strict dieting it took to get there. The picture on the right is current and I feel comfortable, strong and happy at 180lbs.  But how did I get there?

There is lot of science in nutrition and exercise that I have learned through earning a degree in Exercise Science, personal trainer certification with the American College of Sports Medicine, and seven years as a personal trainer.  But those are different topics for a different time.  If you want more info on that, start with the New Year, New You Series at www.bornagainfitnesslr.blogspot.com.  I am focusing here on five traits, or characteristics, that I have seen in both clients and myself. I have encountered these traits in anyone who has successfully gone from a place of poor health and fitness to becoming the masters of their body.  So without further ado, my take on Five Indispensable Qualities for Weight Loss:
Almost 30, 180lbs

            Patience- the microwave is a curse upon our society for a simple reason: as a society, we no longer can wait for things to occur with proper timing. We have to have it, not now but yesterday.  I have found that most people have completely irrational and unrealistic expectations for how quickly they can lose weight.  From someone to maintain a weekly average of weight loss of 1-2lbs per week, and to do so over the course of an entire year, is outstanding.  For the truly obese, and inactive, and with proper dieting, it may happen faster than that for the first couple of months.  But to look back after one year and see a weekly average of 1-2 pounds is an accomplishment to boast about.  It took me two years to get down 100lbs in high school.  Be patient, it pays off.

            Big Dream, Daily Focus- if a person needs to lose 100lbs, keep that big number as the overall target.  But do not focus solely on the end goal. Do not lose sight of the important daily steps: choosing water over soda pop, fruit instead of a candy bar, and vegetables instead of ice cream.  The people who hit the gigantic weight loss numbers are the ones who grab on to daily focus and embrace it, not as something to do, but as a part of who they are. 

        Nutrition over exercise- the axiom is true; you are what you eat.  If a person eats junk food, a junk body will result.  This is as inevitable and unavoidable as the sun rising in the east and setting in the west.  Given the choice a weight loss winner understands and will always choose to eat healthy.  It is impossible to out-exercise poor nutrition.  IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO OUT EXERCISE POOR NUTRITION.

        Consistent Exercise- nutrition is king but exercise is the crown prince.  All of the benefits that come from eating healthy are enhanced in the presence of regular exercise.  The human body is designed to move.  The collective physical inactivity of our society is causing the genocide of many people.  As a society the vast majority of us are killing ourselves from lack or regular movement.  As a minimum, everyone should be exercising four hours per week.  Life is a verb, not a noun; live in motion.

        Reward the right way- most people mess this up.  Regular exercise is NOT an excuse to eat whatever you want or as much as you want.  But that does not mean an occasional treat cannot be had.  Assume that a person eats three meals a day, seven days a week, plus two small snacks in between meals.  This person would eat thirty-five times in one week.  Let’s also assume this person understands the correct number of calories that their body needs and eats a healthy diet. Personally, I usually have three meals a week that I cannot control what is being served because I eat with friends and do not cook.  The other thirty-two times that I eat during the week I am in complete control of the menu.  This translates in eating healthy 91% of the time.  It also happens to be the ratio I recommend to clients.  Control and eat healthy for nine out of every ten meals, exercise regularly and anyone can have a healthy body without completely depriving themselves.  

1 comment: