Friday, November 9, 2012

5lbs in 5 days Intro


Five Pounds in Five Days
            As a personal trainer, I am always interested in trying new things and seeing what works.  Before the start of a recent vacation, nine days to be exact; my wife proposed dieting as preemptive strike against the weight gain she thought inevitable while taking a trip to visit my parents.  Five pounds in nine days, which for her is doable.  My wife can be an incredibly determined and disciplined person.  That got me thinking, and since I agreed to join her in the effort for moral support, I wonder if I can do five pounds in five days: no thermogenic fat burning supplements, no shedding water weight; no sitting in saunas or those reflective, space-suit -looking ‘sweat’ suits.  Challenge accepted. 
I train like an athlete, not a body builder so I have little experience with these crazy crash diets.  I prefer to take a slower approach which leads to permanent changes.  Another reason that I have never tried this before is that eating nothing but chicken and broccoli for several days is incredibly unappealing.  To avoid this I added a few flavor varieties into the mix with the knowledge that this may impede the overall goal.  But since I am not competing in a contest that was not that much of a concern.  I am more concerned with the process than hitting an exact number but something has to be there as a target for the sake of evaluation.
            Our flight left on the Tuesday after the week of the experiment.  Starting on Monday, a week before the flight, the project began.  The most difficult part, like any weight reduction program, is to get the diet right.  Exercise is easy.   My wife and I already a clean diet so cleaning it up even further meant losing some of the variety in our normal meal planning.
Before going into the specifics of each day let me give an outline of how my typical day runs:
·         5:30am-Wake Up, Relieve myself, Weigh-in
·         6:00am-Finish Breakfast, wake up son feed him breakfast
·         6:30-7:00am Leave to train first client of the day
·         7:00am-9:00 Train independent clients before heading to work
·         9:00-5:00pm work, train other clients, teach group exercise classes, work on operational responsibilities, write in the free moments
·         Morning Snack between 10-10:30am
·         Lunch 1:00-1:30
·         Workout 2-3:00pm
·         Afternoon snack after workout
·         5:30pm arrive home
·         6:00pm Dinner
·         6-8:00 Family Time, put son to sleep
·         9:30pm Go to sleep

            If you are going to attempt this or any other weight loss program, weigh yourself in the morning, before breakfast, and after performing the morning ritual.  This is the emptiest your body will get and, thus, the most accurate time to weigh. 

Every morning with breakfast, the following vitamins and supplements were taken:
·         1- Generic Kroger brand men’s health formula multivitamin
·         1-Spring Valley Chewable Vitamin C 500mg
·         2-Spring Valley Fish Oil 100mg/300mg Omega-3 capsules

In addition to these supplements, in the evenings, before bed I had one more of the vitamin C and two of the fish oil capsules.  The only other supplement used was Dymatize Nutrition’s Elite Gourmet Whey & Casein Blend protein powder. 
            Another important factor to consider with the nutritional side is that absolutely no salt was added to any of the food consumed.  The sodium in salt helps the body retain water.  Salt in all of it forms was eliminated from the meal plan.  In fact the saltiest tasting thing that I ate was the two tablespoons of salsa used to season the omelet every morning.  If you want to see big changes on the scale in a short time avoid anything with salt. The lack of salt can lead to excessive water loss and result in dehydration.  To avoid this, I drank a gallon of water per day.

No comments:

Post a Comment